Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Written Prayers

 Boundaries and Fullness

            Lord, You are my portion and my cup.  You have measured out my boundaries and this land, this circumstance, this time, is my inheritance.

 I am satisfied with what you have given in Christ.  My soul is at peace and you fill me with joy.  I do not want to step out of my place.  I want nothing apart from you and your inheritance for me. 

 Inside your boundary lines, I want no promise to fall to the ground.  Let me walk about this land you have given.  Let me measure its length and width and depth and height.  Remind me of your promises and give me faith to lay hold of them.  Grant that I may know and experience all that you have given me inside these lines. 

 Here there is fullness.  Forgive my complaints and my emptiness.

            Here there is compassion.  Forgive my anger and my bitterness.

                        Here there is authority.  Forgive my giving place to the enemy. 

 This promised land is enough for me.  Grant that I may take advantage of every inch of it.


Invitation to the Holy Spirit

Lord, without you, I can do nothing.

     I have no strength, no authority, no guidance on my own.  If I am to find Your presence and the abundance of Your promised land, I need Your Helper.

Come Holy Spirit to be with me forever.  Be my Counselor and my Defender.  Whisper in my ear and point the way with your holy arm.  Strengthen my frame and remember that I am dust.  Do not leave me as an orphan.

 Spirit of Holiness, keep me from sin.  Make me want to be like Christ.

 Spirit of Truth, keep me from error so that my foot does not slip.

 Spirit of Christ, make your home in me and create in me a welcoming place for my Savior.

 Teach me to abide in you.  Prune me as You will so that I might bear fruit.  Let me ask for the Father's glory to be shown and in the answer, let me be recognized as your disciple. 

Give me Your joy that I might be full and spilling out. 

 You chose me and appointed me.  Help me as a servant to know what my Master is doing.  Help me as a friend to welcome the fellowship of Christ and the intimacy of His church.  Teach me to ask,  to wait, and to bear witness.

 

Sovereignty of God

            Creator and Sustainer, You shaped and molded me from my beginning.  You hold me together by Your power.  I live and I die according to Your determined will.  I cannot keep myself alive.  You choose the times and circumstances of my life in order that I may reach out and find you.  My life is under Your authority, my limits set by Your care. 

            But You have being within Yourself.  You are Life and You give it to whomever You choose.  You are truth and nothing is hidden from your sight.  You are the way and purpose for my life.  You know all things and have power over all things.  Nothing escapes your gaze.  Nothing can harm those You seek to protect.  I sleep in the shadow of Your wings.

            Bind me to your side.  Make me yours.  Stay with me or take me with you when you go.  Keep me always by your side.


Sinfulness of Sin

            Forgive me, Lord, I have stepped out of my place.  I have pursued independence and power and pleasure apart from you.  I have played the fool.  I have twisted what you have made straight.  I have destroyed what you have built.  I have lost my way.  If you do not forgive, I am a dead man.

            Turn your face to me.  It is too dark, too cold, too lonely to be where I am.  Give me your presence, give me your favor.  I have no merit or my own.  Show me again Your kindness and mercy.  The Devil, the world, the enemy in me, all seek my destruction.  I am surrounded by the predators I invited and they are looking for a prey. 

            I will sit and wait for Your favor.  Put my iniquity behind Your back.  Change my clothes restore my privilege as an adopted son.  Restore me to the joy of my salvation.  Do not leave me prodigal in a foreign land.

 

Identifying Footholds/Strongholds

            Show me, Lord, secure places for my feet in this land you have given.  Keep my ankles from turning and my foot from slipping. 

Keep the Enemy flailing in the mud, do not let him get a foothold here.  Help me see and forsake those sins that give him entrance in this land.   Give me eyes to see the sin that I am blinded to.  Give me courage to face the sin that trips me up.  Give me a desire for holiness that my satisfaction and my peace be found in you.

You, O Lord, be my fortress and my security in this land.  In my sin, in my foolishness, I let the enemy build here.  Guilt, shame and impotence are the enemy’s strongholds in my land.  His strongholds bring me anger, fear, bitterness, and distress.  He is no longer welcome here.  In the name of Jesus, cause him to flee.  Make the strongholds of my enemy crumble about his ears.  May his strongholds be abandoned.  Sweep this land that you have given clean.  Let holiness and peace be built instead.  Be the only stronghold in this land.


No comments: