Friday, April 19, 2024

Soul Anchor: Pen Pals Skit

 

Pen Pals

 Cast:

            Karee- a sponsored child in a closed country

            Uncle- a student who has become a sponsor

            Narrator- the unseen voice of the mission agency

 Scene:  Two desks (or chairs and pads of paper) on opposite sides of the stage where the two pen pals are writing.  Narrator is off stage.  This sketch is based on real letters from Southeast Asia to a student in the United States. 

 ___________

Narrator:  (Official-sounding, yet friendly) Dear Sir, thank you for your kind sponsorship of Karee.  Children are full of potential and the joy of living.  With you as our partner, we can help free this child from the frustrations of poverty and bring her hope for a better future.

 Uncle:  (as if writing)  Dear Karee, my name is Ed.  I am a student, studying to be a pastor.  I love reading and gardening.  I look forward to getting a note from you.  Please tell me about yourself…

 Karee:  (also writing) My name is Karee.  My father is a night watchman at a medical clinic.  My mother takes care of the house.  I am the eldest child and a sixth grader.  I have to look after my grandma who is paralyzed after a stroke.  My school has not yet reopened.  I pray that you and your family will receive much blessings from God…

 Uncle:  Dear Karee, thank you for your letter.  I am enclosing a picture since I received one of you.  I have two jobs and study a lot but will always make time to write.  Your letters make my day…

 Karee:   My dear loving uncle, God has provided me with a kind sponsor from a faraway place and I feel so happy.  Thank you for sending me the gift money.  The flowers that I have planted in front of the house are starting to bloom now.  Every morning when I smell their sweet fragrance I feel happy and am reminded of uncle who loves gardening too.  I also pray for success in your work.  My grandma sends her greetings to you.  My mother and father are thankful to you too.  I have decided to serve God when I grow older.

 Uncle: Dear Karee, I received your letter today.  I cannot read your language, but you have the best handwriting!  I’m glad they translate your letters.  Exams are coming soon, but then vacation!  I hope you are doing well.  Write when you can.

 Karee:  I answered well on the first term test.  I still have to improve my spoken English.  Thank you for your interest in learning our language.  I think it will be best if we can talk face to face.  I am thinking how I should teach you.   May God bless you in your various works.

 Uncle:  Dear Karee,  I have good news!  I am graduating in the spring and moving to Korea.  I will be a pastor and teacher…

 Karee:  My dear loving uncle, My grandma here is in her bed.  She is very glad to know that you have become a pastor.  Thank you so much for the gift money.  I intend to use it to attend the summer Bible class to be opened in a village about three miles from our town.  It would be very nice to have you give us some lectures in the Bible class.   

 Uncle:  Dear Karee, Seoul is beautiful.  I am sending you a postcard and a picture of our church.  I think you would like it.

 Karee:  I think you are accustomed to living in Seoul.  In Geography class, we have been taught that Seoul is the biggest city in Korea and is near the sea.  The picture of Seoul is very pleasant.  I am thankful to uncle for patiently explaining things to me.  It is like you are teaching me world geography.  For one who has not been anywhere, it is all strange and fascinating.

 Uncle:  Thank you for your letters.  I am sorry it takes so long to forward them here.  Your letters travel to the United States before they come here.  I always love getting them, no matter how long.

 Karee:  We have finished taking the first term test.  My grandma who has slept in Jesus always wanted me to become a nurse.  After I finish my schooling, I intend to join the nursing college so that I can tell my patients about God’s love.  I am now praying that my hope will come true.  Uncle, what do you want me to be?

 Uncle:  Karee, I think nursing is a great idea.  You took care of your grandma and have real compassion for others.  I would be glad to see you become whatever God wants you to be.

 Karee:  I am thankful to God for coming to know you.  There is one thing I want to know.  How are we to prepare ourselves to welcome the second coming of Christ?  We attended a short Bible course at our church.  The teachers taught us about the Good News.  They explained to us the meaning of any bible verse we wished to know. 

 Narrator:  (seriously) Dear Sir, I’m writing you today with important news about your sponsorship.  Karee’s country has become more closed to foreigners.  Our director is more and more restricted in his travel.  Karee and her family have been moved.  We are concerned that we are unable to provide the level of benefits once given.  We feel these issues are serious and require prayer…

 Karee:  Our new satellite town is slowly improving.  We now have plenty of water for use.  Some parts do not have electricity yet.  People there have to use kerosene lamps.  Primary and secondary schools have been opened here.  With your gift money, I have bought for myself exercise books and ball pens for school use.  I am studying hard.  I pray for you that you can serve God well and I will try my best to become someone like you.

 (Uncle holds an official-looking letter with a concerned expression)

 Narrator:  Dear sir, the situation in Karee’s country has worsened.  Our auditors are unable to visit.  It is becoming unfeasible to continue to work in the country.  Karee has moved again.  We will contact you with more information as the situation develops.

 Karee:  My family has to move some miles from the town like other families in the area.  We will be given a plot there.  At this moment we have no facilities yet.  But by next year this place will be a nice place to stay.

 Narrator:  As we wrote you recently, because of the political situation, numerous restrictions have been placed upon our work.  We have been unable to travel, visit projects, inspect records or meet with children.  Because we cannot carry out work that enables us to be good stewards of your support, we reluctantly made the difficult decision to end our work there.  We are all grieved about this situation.

 Uncle:  Karee, I don’t know what to say…  You have been a part of my life since college…  I will continue to pray for you and your family… 

 Karee:  (with strength)  My dear loving uncle,  I have read your letter which I was expecting.  Even though things have changed, our love for each other will remain unchanged.  You are my strength given to me by God and I am a reward for you.  I always pray for you.  With much love,  Karee.

No comments: