Friday, July 2, 2010

The Contemplation of Nature

Classical Conversations introduced me to Andrew Kern's CD "The Contemplation of Nature." I'll have to listen to it a dozen times to grasp the implications of his lecture on education, but I did learn this. Public, and sadly Christian, schools begin with utility- a holdover from Dewey. To really understand something, you must begin with its nature. Everything that exists began as an idea in the mind of God.
To know anything, Kern says you must follow a three step process:
1. Understand its nature
2. Discern its purpose from its nature.
3. Grasp its propriety.
For example, as a leader, I must understand the nature of those under my care. A follower is made in the image of God, a sinner, a male or female, and one whose ultimate purpose is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Propriety tells me the moral and fitting ways for that nature to be fulfilled.

No comments: