Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Dearest Wish

At China One, my fortune cookie predicted today that "your dearest wish will come true." If the cookie had even the slightest power to make its prediction come true, I would be the envy of the world. Untold wealth, friendships with the rich, famous, and powerful, a secret island getaway, world peace: What would be big enough to be properly described as my dearest wish?


Isaiah would call all these desires "other lords" (Isaiah 26:13). There are a thousand things that the world markets as ultimately satisfying, but none of it is true. Isaiah was more mature: "Yes. Lord, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for You; Your name and renown are the desire of our hearts" (Isa. 26:8). The only thing that truly, ultimately, and finally satisfies man is God Himself. My dearest wish will be met when God shows up and I am changed into His likeness.
How blessed I am. My dearest wish coming true doesn't depend on the power of the fortune cookie to make it happen. I have a sure word from God. I will soon see Him. Until then, I move from one glory to another with a desire to reflect His glory and spread His renown. It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: