Monday, April 29, 2024

I Will Remember: A Responsive Reading

 

I Will Remember

A Responsive Reading

 Congregation:   But remember the former days...

 Reader One:  Remember the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated. 

 Reader Two:  For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one. Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.

 Congregation: Remember your confidence!

 Reader One:  "I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away. They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God.

 Reader Two:  And they will do these things because they have not known the Father, nor me.  But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you. 

 Congregation:  Remember those who are in prison…

 Reader One: Remember those in prison as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.

 Reader Two:  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

 Reader One:  Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

 Reader Two:  And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'

 Congregation:  Remember your leaders…

 Reader One:  Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.

 Reader Two:  I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

 Reader One:  He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.  He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

 Reader Two:  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

 Congregation:  Remember me, O LORD.

 Reader One:  Remember me, O LORD, when you show favor to your people. 

 Congregation:  Remember me with favor, O LORD…

 Reader One:  "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,"

 Reader Two: Then he adds, "I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more."

 

 

Texts: Hebrews 10:32-35; John 16:1-4; Hebrews 13:3; Matthew 25:25-40; Hebrews 13:7; John 10:11-16; Hebrews 13:8; Psalm 106:4-8; Hebrews 10:16-17 (ESV).

No comments: